Country Director – Tanzania
LM International is a Swedish development and humanitarian foundation promoting sustainable poverty reduction from a rights perspective. We’re currently expanding and will open an office in Tanzania. Therefore, we’re hiring a new Country Director to spearhead our work at the new Country Office. The application period is now closed.
Our vision is “Dignified Life – Sustainable World” and our mission is “To save lives and empower people”. LM International was founded in 1958 with its origins in the entrepreneurial spirit and the Swedish resource-base. The foundation is based on Christian values. For us, this means that all people are unique and have equal value regardless of belief, gender, ethnicity, or anything else that could be the basis for discrimination.
Our foundation has partners worldwide, in about 30 countries, out of which the majority is to be found in Sub-Saharan Africa. We are represented in both stable and fragile states with integrated long-term development programming and humanitarian aid efforts. Our global Head Office is placed in Stockholm and our foundation employs around 300 employees placed in 12 regional or country offices around the globe. We work to realise the right to health and the 2030 Agenda in partnership with Sida and SMC and direct country-partnerships with UN-agencies like UNHCR, UNDP and UNICEF. We have a long-term FPA with EU-ECHO. On the ground we engage in close collaboration with community-based and faith-based actors. We also work in close partnerships with the private sector and innovators in the fields of sustainable infrastructure and integrated water resource management.
Purpose of the Role
The Country Director is expected to provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and oversight to the Tanzania Country Program, enabling the execution of the organisation’s vision and mission. The Country Director is to be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with travels to field as well as regional and international travels. The Country Director will be part of the Senior Management Team for Eastern, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA-region).
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with travels to field and abroad.
Type of contract
English and Swahili
- National co-ordination and stakeholders’ dialogue. Ensure attendance at meetings that will foster and promote such strategic relationships and expand the visibility of LM International, such as INGO Forums and Government/UN/donor coordination meetings.
- Strategic Communication and national media relations. To effectively communicate the LM Vision, Mission, Core Values and Programme objectives, both within and outside the Country Office. This includes to be the official spokesperson at national level.
- Protocol and external relations. To establish sound, strategic working relationships and cooperative arrangements with Government Authorities, local and international partners, private companies, innovators, community and faith-based actors, support organisations and present the programmes and values of the organisation to the public.
- Provide leadership in designing and developing quality innovative programmes and projects. Make sure that the Country Strategy is regularly updated, monitored, and reported upon.
- Ensure growth, development, and sustainability of the country programme by developing new innovative programme initiatives and securing funds through the preparation and submission of funding applications and proposals to both local and international donors.
- Be responsible for maintaining sound financial plans and budgets. Ensure that the organisation operates within budget guidelines and prepares and submits annual audits and project audits as per donor/government requirements. Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organisation to carry out its work.
- Oversee the recruitment, employment, induction, and release of all personnel within the Tanzania Country Programme, both paid staff and consultants, as well as trainees. Provide performance coaching and regular staff appraisals for all staff under direct supervision. Create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops, motivates, and retains, a diverse team.
- Ensure that the Regional Director is kept fully informed on the condition of the organisation and all-important factors influencing it by preparing and submitting quarterly reports, as well as updating the country risk assessment and mitigation plans or other reports as required.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Minimum master’s degree or equivalent within any of the areas of development studies, human rights studies, international relations, and/or public administration.
- Minimum ten years of experience working in NGOs/INGOs, with experience in strategic planning as well as program and proposal development including program management.
- Knowledge and experience from applying for and reporting activities financed with institutional funds.
- Experience of strategic human-right based advocacy at national and regional level.
- Experience in monitoring results of partner organisations on a rights-based approach.
- Experience of working with partners, donors, other agencies, and government officials.
- Experience of acting as official spokesperson and to handle national media relations
- Strong working knowledge of gender principles.
- A solid experience of leadership.
- Flexibility to adapt to change and work under dynamic conditions.
- Excellent strategic and analytical ability.
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken) and fluency in Kiswahili.
- Excellent computer skills and experience of digital tools and platforms
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview and performance test. All applicants will be notified when the recruitment process is finalised. The position is open both to Tanzania nationals and international applicants.
Employment will be subject to a probationary period and review.
How to apply
Application closed. Applicants will be informed.
For questions please contact Pär Höglund email@example.com
Interviews will be conducted throughout the application period.
Closing Date: 15th of August 2021